A Bit About Me .....

I am an amateur gardener of a small suburban garden. I don't profess to know what I am doing most of the time, I just muddle along as best I can, hoping it will turn out alright.

The main purpose of this blog is to act as a diary for myself of plants I have grown, mistakes I have made and odd bits of advice that might be of use in the future. Feel free to jump in and leave any advice or comments.

Saturday 14 May 2011

An Unexpected Visitor

The other day I was happily weeding a flower bed, when I very nearly weeded a frog who was lurking there.  I'm not sure who was more shocked to be honest, me or the frog.  I jumped, he jumped, I jumped even more!

Now, I have nothing against frogs on the whole, as long as they are kept at about a hundred paces.  I certainly wouldn't want to pick one up, so to nearly grab one when weeding nearly gave me palpitations.  I'm really not sure what would have happened if I had been a centimetre nearer but the back of my hand definitely touched frog.  I was actually quite surprised to find it was actually quite soft and warm, not at all what I had expected.  I still wouldn't want to hold one.

I guess I shouldn't have been that surprised to find a frog in a flower bed, I have found one under my bed before, still alive, courtesy of one of my cats.  I left the room in a hurry and called for reinforcements to deal with it.  So why all these frogs in my garden?  I have no idea, as I don't have a pond and there are no public ponds, rivers or streams for quite some distance.  I can only assume that other people in the vicinity have got ponds in there gardens, although I have no idea of the hopping range of a frog.

Having had a quick on the internet, I have discovered that my frog was a Common Frog.  I was slightly disappointed for him.  I thought he would have been slightly more exotic than common.  Who knows, he may have been a bewitched prince.  I wasn't going to kiss him to find out though, trust me!

No comments:

Post a Comment